Sign in to follow this  
Burridge

The Next Release Discussion

So as I stated last night on Discord I am making this topic as a discussion for the next version which for now I am naming 3.0.0. I suspect this won't be released for a week or two as the next week or so are rather busy for me sadly, but will be working on it as much as I can. Also depending on how some things go, they may get released as smaller versions instead (2.2, 2.3 etc.) if that seems like a better way forward.

Area of Play

This was discussed on Discord yesterday about reducing the area of play when there are less than n players online. At the moment my idea is based on less than 10 players.

• If the server has less than 10 players online the play area is locked to Fort Carson, and a tiny bit of the surrounding area.
  • An ammunation will be added to Fort Carson.
  • Some extra vehicles will be added to Fort Carson.
  • S.T.A.R.S. and Umbrella team selection will be disabled while this play area rule is in effect.
  • Separate spawns for Survivors and Zombies.
  • It sort of becomes a Humans vs Zombies (and Tyrants) TDM.
  • Play area opens up automatically once 10 or more players are connected to the server.
  • An improvement to the full area of play by alerting players when they have left it, respawning them after n amount of seconds outside it.

New Statistics

With this release I am thinking about adding some new statistics to keep track of. One of which is useful for the above changes to the area of play.

• A player count statistic for use with the area of play changes.
  • A count for number of players on a team.
  • A suicide stat for times you die by using /pkill or die without a killer (fall damage, parking on yourself etc.).
  • A team changes stat so you can see how many times you have changed your team (might not go ahead with this one, seems a little useless).
  • A "times turned into zombie" stat.

Progression

This one has the least amount of thought into it right now, just some notes on a page quickly scribbled. Suggestions for how to earn XP and maybe a way to spend the XP for something. Also ideas on what sort of things can be used for Achievements.

• Some sort of XP system.
  • Achievements.
  • Weapon skill being re-introduced.

A new event

Unsure on the name right now but a new event I came up with last night.

• When activated all human players are "infected".
  • This type of infection does not kill you, but will leave you on 1HP.
  • You cannot heal this type of infection.
  • The idea is to survive as long as possible without being killed by an enemy team.
  • Zombies cannot /bite humans during this event.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Burridge said:

Area of Play

I like that, maybe can work pretty fine, since some players just, want to only escape of Zombies, when the idea of server is "Deathmatch", so a tiny area to play could work better. I agree with every rule except the one what I will comment below 

S.T.A.R.S. and Umbrella team selection will be disabled while this play area rule is in effect.

I personally don't like this, maybe it would be nice to have some way that they don't spawn on base, but if somewhere, not necessarily new bases, just spawn in a random sport like civilian does.

• A suicide stat for times you die by using /pkill or die without a killer (fall damage, parking on yourself etc.).
  • A team changes stat so you can see how many times you have changed your team (might not go ahead with this one, seems a little useless).

Such a nice change!

Weapon skill being re-introduced

It will works depends of how many score you have?

A new event

Looking forward to playing it!

This type of infection does not kill you, but will leave you on 1HP.

Have you thought about perhaps letting the bite work like this normally, in the future?

Good work on update!

5 hours ago, Burridge said:

Area of Play

• S.T.A.R.S. and Umbrella team selection will be disabled while this play area rule is in effect.

In Area of Play mode people need a more dynamic playzone.

My suggestion, based on experience: Allow players to choose any team they wants and spawn them in random places of Area of Play.

5 hours ago, Burridge said:

New Statistics

With this release I am thinking about adding some new statistics to keep track of. One of which is useful for the above changes to the area of play.

Statistics are always a useful thing.

The most important thing is not to show everything on TextDraws that distract players from the game. Kill/Death/Ratio on screen will be enough.

6 hours ago, Burridge said:

Progression

It will be quite difficult for new players to start playing. My opinion: good for RP but it's unnecessary on TDM.

6 hours ago, Burridge said:

A new event

This sounds quite interesting.

- - -

Good luck working on update!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Burridge said:

Area of Play

• If the server has less than 10 players online the play area is locked to Fort Carson, and a tiny bit of the surrounding area.
  • An ammunation will be added to Fort Carson.
  • Some extra vehicles will be added to Fort Carson.
  • Separate spawns for Survivors and Zombies.
  • It sort of becomes a Humans vs Zombies (and Tyrants) TDM.

I think this concept is, generally speaking, a good idea. What concerns me is how the change in dynamic might be jarring to new players (TDM in a small area versus TDM in a big area once a certain player number is reached).

• An improvement to the full area of play by alerting players when they have left it, respawning them after n amount of seconds outside it.

I feel if we go this route, things will be too restrictive. Instead, I think spawnings zombies and civilians in FC is enough, and then let UC spawn in their base (pretty close to FC) and STARS in the Big Ear or Toreno's (both pretty close to FC). This would give new players a better idea of how the gamemode works, while allowing them enough freedom to enjoy chasing/being chased.

New Statistics

Nice little additions. More details always make things more fun.

Progression

This one has the least amount of thought into it right now, just some notes on a page quickly scribbled. Suggestions for how to earn XP and maybe a way to spend the XP for something. Also ideas on what sort of things can be used for Achievements.

• Some sort of XP system.
  • Achievements.

How about making players earn a certain amount of XP depending on the class they kill?

e. g.:

1 XP for Zombies

2 XP for STARS and UC

3 XP for Tyrants

Then we allow them to spend this XP to upgrade their class. Civilians, for instance, with a certain amount of XP and, say, 50 score, could "buy" a sonar (detects zombies within a certain distance). Naturally, this system would need some fine tuning, but I'm just painting a general picture of how that system could work. This will take more thought, so I'll just leave it at  that and move on for now.

Weapon skill being re-introduced.

I honestly don't remember how this works gameplay-wise, so I won't be commenting on this one.

A new event

Unsure on the name right now but a new event I came up with last night.

• When activated all human players are "infected".
  • This type of infection does not kill you, but will leave you on 1HP.
  • You cannot heal this type of infection.
  • The idea is to survive as long as possible without being killed by an enemy team.
  • Zombies cannot /bite humans during this event.

I like this one. I also have another idea for an event. It would be called Ship Survival. Players would be teleported to one of those ships near SF, and would have to survive a certain amount of time before a boat spawns, allowing them to escape (they'd need to get to the boat and navigate to a red marker, ending the event). 

Edited by Marston
Additional thoughts
  • Like 1

Okay, so thinking upon the Area of Play I have a more refined idea: The play area is Fort Carson, A69, Big ear and surrounding areas (see below image).792798e90e8760a45f083925e1ace34d.png.0f5750423f086e71019b4955e0a8fea6.png

We lock players into the zone in red. Instead of dynamically making it bigger we make it smaller (than the current which is LV entirely), and leave it to that area, which given the play style of the server is still quite large. Then if the server hits n number of players. I'm thinking higher than 10 at this point (maybe 25-30+) as this new play area is large compared to the original idea posted in the topic. This would mean that the initial play area is large enough that you are not totally locked down to just one tiny town, but not too large that you can never find anyone.

Alternatively we could just not expand the play area outside the one shown above, and trial this and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Live said:

It will be quite difficult for new players to start playing. My opinion: good for RP but it's unnecessary on TDM.

Honestly I am of the same mind on this one, I mostly put it in to see the reactions.

1 hour ago, Live said:

The most important thing is not to show everything on TextDraws that distract players from the game. Kill/Death/Ratio on screen will be enough.

I wasn't planning on adding all of these to the UI, don't worry! The only thing I was thinking of adding to the UI is the number of Humans (Survivors, S.T.A.R.S. and Umbrella) vs Zombies/Tyrants alive. I am happy to not include that in the UI though.

52 minutes ago, Marston said:

Then we allow them to spend this XP to upgrade their class. Civilians, for instance, with a certain amount of XP and, say, 50 score, could "buy" a sonar (detects zombies within a certain distance). Naturally, this system would need some fine tuning, but I'm just painting a general picture of how that system could work. This will take more thought, so I'll just leave it at  that and move on for now.

Interesting ideas on that one. I like that idea of the sonar. It's easily done too.

52 minutes ago, Marston said:

I like this one. I also have another idea for an event. It would be called Ship Survival. Players would be teleported to one of those ships near SF, and would have to survive a certain amount of time before a boat spawns, allowing them to escape (they'd need to get to the boat and navigate to a red marker, ending the event). 

Love it! Unsure if I'd do that for this release but I am adding that to my book!

3 hours ago, Onil said:

Have you thought about perhaps letting the bite work like this normally, in the future?

This was discussed in the last thread, I am not convinced by it at the moment, and infection isn't super deadly honestly anyway. I think personally for now I want to leave /bite alone. The /bite might be even less effective with a smaller play area too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Burridge said:

We lock players into the zone in red. Instead of dynamically making it bigger we make it smaller (than the current which is LV entirely), and leave it to that area, which given the play style of the server is still quite large. Then if the server hits n number of players. I'm thinking higher than 10 at this point (maybe 25-30+) as this new play area is large compared to the original idea posted in the topic. This would mean that the initial play area is large enough that you are not totally locked down to just one tiny town, but not too large that you can never find anyone.

It's sounds better than the original idea! I don't agree with parts of map, like the montains on the left, and the mine construction on the right of Fort Carson, but if they stay, it's fine.

Edited by Onil

8 minutes ago, Onil said:

I don't agree with parts of map, like the montains on the left, and the mine construction on the right of Fort Carson, but if they stay, it's fine.

I personally think the area limits are just fine. Variation in terrain is important and that area has just a bit of everything the gamemode needs.

Also, on a different note, how about incorporating some sort of dynamic weather system? Make use of the misty and rainy weathers, for instance. 

8 minutes ago, Marston said:

I personally think the area limits are just fine. Variation in terrain is important and that area has just a bit of everything the gamemode needs.

That was the hope! What don't you like about it Onil?

8 minutes ago, Marston said:

Also, on a different note, how about incorporating some sort of dynamic weather system? Make use of the misty and rainy weathers, for instance. 

Easily done, we already have the time moving along every n amount of seconds so it's easy enough to do.

2 hours ago, Burridge said:

That was the hope! What don't you like about it Onil?

I said it thinking of the person who is Zombie, it is a point where the human always has a total advantage over the zombie, they can destroy the zombie car, when zombie climbs are easy shots to kill them. But thinking it on Wolve said, variations are important exacly for that, to balance the Human vs Zombie, and more if the human don't use c-bug or slide bug to kill the zombies.